President Trump has delivered his 2020 State of the Union speech. I thought it was a great and brilliant speech for several reasons:
- Trump look confident and victorious. This has to be disheartening to those on the left who have worked so hard to remove him from office. He didn’t even dignify them with a single mention of impeachment. Without actually saying it, the speech was a giant “I have won and you lost” to the left.
- It wasn’t full of a lot of numbers. One of the things I have hated about previous SOTU speeches (from both parties) is the nauseating figures they throw out. “I have asked Congress for a billion dollars here and a billion dollars there”. It reminds me of my days in college taking trigonometry and gives me a headache. Plus I know that 98% of the proposals will never pass Congress. Trump pretty much avoided that last night. Which leads to my next point.
- Trump spoke in generalities. Or you could say he painted with a broad brush. He didn’t fall for the temptation to get too deep in the weeds on detail. He pretty much articulated what he wanted to accomplish in a second term on a grand scale and left it at that. In essence this was a kick off to his 2020 campaign.
- The President did a masterful job laying out his accomplishments – from the economy to immigration to judges to foreign policy. And in 3 years he has had a lot of successes. More than most previous occupants of the White House. And speaking of the effort to reform the courts with constitutional judges, Trump said they were just beginning. All of it had the effect of unnerving the Democrats, especially Pelosi (more on that later).
- Trump hit the Democrats smack dab between the eyes on issue after issue. It was brutal. But he did it without naming them specifically. Having them remain stone face while he ticked them off said everything. Economy best in 50 years. Illegal immigration down and the wall being built (someone be sure to relate that to Ann Coulter who obviously doesn’t know). New factories being opened. Trade deals with Mexico, Canada, China. ISIS destroyed. Common sense to most people. He even stole the left’s environmental issue by proposing planting a million trees! That fiend! But the best part was his highlighting the victims of liberal policies, exposing their utter failures. He also hit them on the sanctity of life by honoring the little girl who had been born prematurely. And most of the folks honored were blacks, Hispanics and women. Golly, I thought Trump was a racist and misogynist.
- Without question the most moving moment of the night was Rush Limbaugh receiving the Presidential Medal of Freedom. I had no idea they were going to do that right then and there. There is no one else in this country who has consistently promoted conservative values more than Rush. It is an honor well deserved. Our prayers are with him for healing.
The reaction to this speech by the Democrats was hilarious to watch. Pelosi vacillated between looking she she was going to throw up to smiling and talking to herself (or her imaginary friend). Folks are upset she tore up the speech. I look at that as her being utterly defeated because she can’t handle a prosperous America that Trump has created. She and the Democrats have been trying to undo the 2016 election since BEFORE the election and have failed spectacularly. In fact they have made (and continue to make) Trump’s re-election more likely.
I watched just a moment or two of the post speech analysis and was a bit surprised that the folks at CBS thought it was a good speech. And Van Jones over at CNN was correct to worry that Trump may break the hold Democrats have had on minorities because he has actually done things to help blacks. Gosh what a concept! If Trump were to get anywhere near or over 12% of their vote the Democrats are in serious trouble. A few polls have shown black support of Trump at close to 30%. Even half of that would be devastating.
So It was a great speech that I think will resonate with a lot of people. And compared with the socialist agenda of the major Democrat candidates, Trump looks pretty good in comparison.