Webster’s defines the term “silly season,” as “a period marked by frivolous, outlandish, or illogical activity or behavior.” It’s odd enough Webster’s has a definition for the idea, but to my way of thinking, it’s even more odd they don’t mention the U.S. presidential election as an example of the silly season.
I guess that makes sense when you consider the next presidential campaign starts hours after the election these days. Given non-stop presidential politics, it wouldn’t make sense to constrain the silliness to something as finite as a season.
In past years, it’s been easy to shrug off the idiocy by the candidates as being mostly isolated and occasional. No longer.
The silly season election of 2020 is increasingly dominated by a far left circling the wagons of insanity against any possibility of reason or logic.
Beto O’ Rourke, in a rant over guns he obviously knows nothing about said, “Hell yes we’re going to take your AR 15.” His audience, also apparently ignorant on the subject, gave O’Rourke a standing ovation. In an unusual bow to reality, O’Rourke dropped out of the race recently due to poor fundraising and poorer polling.
Nevertheless, there’s a huge portion of the Democrat Party that evidently believes when the government knocks on the door of the bad guys, they’ll happily hand over their illegal weapons. Why? How can he and other Democrats believe criminals will do so when they haven’t already done so?
The Democrat candidates also want the power to jail and fine otherwise law-abiding citizens who refuse to give up their legally obtained weapons. Why in the world do Democrats believe anyone will be safer when they disarm the innocent?
But if you’re like me, the assault on the Second Amendment is only the tip of the iceberg. The real problem is the rest of the iceberg. Democrat disgust for our Constitution and the values it promotes hangs under and supports nearly every utterance they make.
Without exception, the wacky band of Democrat presidential candidates seems hell-bent on actually finishing what Barack Obama started – “fundamentally changing America” in ways most of us could never believe would ever really happen.
- Replacing free enterprise with government control over our economy.
- A government controlled health care plan that will eliminate choice, diminish quality, reduce access, create long waits, and ration care. At least Bernie admits he’ll raise your taxes to help pay for it though his tax plan doesn’t get close to paying the trillion dollar plus annual cost. None of the other candidates will even admit that much. Every other country with government health care imposes a VAT (Value Added Tax) to help pay the cost. Their VATs range from 23% to 47% on every purchase. Oh boy, worse health care with a sales tax up to 50% on everything you buy. What’s not to love?
- And a 25% to 50% VAT is only one new tax. Most of the candidates suggest we should raise marginal tax rates on income to 70% or more. In addition to her 80% income tax proposal, Elizabeth Warren proposes an asset confiscation scheme that takes 2% annually from wealthy people. Bernie says it should be twice that much. All the candidates support repeal of the Trump tax cuts; the same tax cuts that jump started our economy, created historic numbers of jobs, and produced far higher federal revenues than the high taxes of previous decades. They’ve all suggested various other new and increased taxes that add up to less money for Americans and a lot more control for the federal government – and for the politicians running it.
- Total elimination of school choice. ALL charter schools shut down. National Education Association and other unions in total control of what your kids are being taught.
- Teaching Islam is fine, teaching Christianity taboo.
- The abandonment of Israel, America’s number one ally in the Middle East. Cut off their access to weapons and encourage the United Nations to make Israel give up massive territory to the Palestinians.
- The Green New Deal is a Halloween horror story designed to scare the world into turning all industry over to central governments which decide where we live, what we eat, what we drive, where we work, what health care we receive, and how many kids we have; in other words, every aspect of our lives. All under the guise of protecting the earth. But if you believe the government can do all that while finding ways to fight climate change you’ve been in a coma. Just consider that California, a state governed by the country’s most radical climate change progressives, is one of only three states that has failed to decrease net carbon emissions in the past 7 years. No matter how many climate laws they pass, all they’ve managed to do is make Californian’s quality of life worse without an iota of improvement in their contribution to climate change.
“Silly” isn’t really the right word after all. This election isn’t so much “frivolous, outlandish, or illogical” as it is terrifying. The changes Democrats advocate should make your hair stand on end.
If, on the other hand, you believe the government can run your life and spend your money better than you, then you ought to give every penny you can to the Democrat of your choice. Chances are you have a serious problem and you’re gonna need that government health care sooner than you think.