The Democrats had another debate this week, this time in Ohio. Twelve candidates onstage. Not even American Idol has that many people. Tom Steyer (who I think may have played the Scarecrow in The Wizard of Oz) was a new face.
Here are some of the highlights (lowlights?)
- The first 20 minutes was on impeachment with each one trying to outdo the other in their contempt for Trump and the strongest language possible The SNL skit was better. Having Biden speak on this is a joke. Apparently they didn’t get the memo from earlier today that the Democrats were not going to vote on impeachment anytime soon.
- Elizabeth Warren again dodged the question about whether she would raise taxes on the middle class to pay for Medicare for All. She cleverly said costs would come down. Unfortunately that wasn’t the question. At least Sanders was honest and said he would raise taxes.
- Buttigieg destroyed Warren on this issue saying it would be a mistake to force people off their private insurance onto MFA.
- Kamala Harris pivoted to WOMEN WILL DIE on the question about MFA. Kudos to her on that. It had been absent from precious debates. A golden oldie.
- There were no shortage of biographical stories or sob stories of people they have met on the campaign trail. GROAN. At least we didn’t have to hear John Kasich talk about his father being a postman.
- In case you missed it, Harris is on the Senate Intelligence Committee AND she is a former prosecutor. She reminded us of this ad-naseum.
- Reproductive rights. All I will say about this is that these people are sick and evil. Anyone who advances abortion is advancing the killing of innocents. Of course they don’t call it that. They couch it in terms of Reproductive Freedom and that a woman should have control of her body. I agree. You have the control to refrain from activity that causes pregnancy. As far as the baby being part of the woman’s body, that is false science. We now know that the DNA of the fetus is independent of the mother. The mother is the host but it is NOT part of her body. The only person not on board with abortion with no restrictions was Tulsi Gabbard. She’ll no doubt be savaged for that.
- On the question of having Republicans as friends, Beto and Yang admitted they had rode in the same car with Republicans. Oh the horrors!!
- Tulsi Gabbard said that the Democrat’s opponents were not deplorable’s but fellow citizens. Uh oh. I hope Tulsi has good security around her. It’s not safe to take on the Clinton’s.
- Yang: Donald Trump said we need to turn the clock back and bring back American jobs. I would reverse that. Yes, he actually started a comment with that.
- Warren said that multi-national corporations were hurting the American worker. You don’t say???? Why that’s very close to the Trump agenda. Careful there Fauxahontas.
- Bernie Sanders smiled!!! (No, seriously, he did!). After the debate he went back to work on turning the Delorian into a time machine.
- Beto reminds me of Mr. Bentley from “The Jeffersons”.
- Kamala Harris wants Trump banned from Twitter. Wow, that will show him! Warren said she wanted to beat Trump, not just ban him on twitter. At each debate Harris seems smaller and smaller. Next debate they should just let Mya Rudolph play Harris and the real Kamala Harris could host romper-room.
- Marianne Williamson was the big winner. She wasn’t there!
Seriously, the only person on that stage who could give Trump a good challenge is Gabbard. Fortunately she will never get the nomination (especially after the shot at Hillary). Sometimes a person is blessed by the ineptness of his enemies. Trump certainly is and has to be enjoying what he is seeing.