The race for the Democrat nomination has only been going full bore for about 3 months and already the candidate’s promises could bankrupt America.
- Some $9.3 trillion per year for a Green New Deal that does little to nothing to solve climate change.
- Up to $3.2 trillion per year for government run health care (I’ve lost track whether this includes the cost of health care for illegals.)
- As much as $1.3 trillion to pay off student debt.
- About $125 billion each year to pay for free college.
- At least $1 trillion dollars to make illegal immigrants legal.
- At least $100 billion per year to support open borders – provide benefits and replace infrastructure for illegal immigrants.
- Guaranteed $1,000 per month per adult or $3.045 trillion each year.
- Up to $17 trillion to pay reparations for those negatively impacted by slavery.
As costly as this list is, it doesn’t include promises of universal child care, guaranteed jobs program, low-income housing, tax refunds for gay couples, managing world wide abortion clinics, and so many other ideas on the Democrat’s wish lists.
But here’s the problem for Democrats. Even if they took 100% of every person’s and every company’s income in the United States, it wouldn’t be enough to pay for even half of their promises.
No problem for Democrats. This is their standard ploy. Make crazy promises to get votes, then blame Republicans for preventing those promises from being kept. It gets Democrats off the hook, and provides negative talking points about their opponents. And it locks gullible voters permanently into their voting coalition.
And even though their promises aren’t fully kept, Democrats nevertheless move America a little further left each election year.
It’ s not just the money it costs taxpayers, though that’s horrendous enough. It’s also how Democrats are shattering our values … things like hard work, personal responsibility, freedom, and personal rights.
Sure, they make only incremental progress each year, but eventually each new give-away program whittles away our freedom, our dignity, our independence, until one day politicians and bureaucrats have taken control of the most important aspects of our lives.
Consider health care. Not only will their plans cost trillions; government control will reduce incentives for innovation, reduce quality, and lead to rationed care. And once politicians decide who gets what care, it’s a very short step to rewarding your political supporters and punishing your opponents.
And free college? Expect the federal government to decide what’s taught and who’s teaching it. Can you say brainwashing? It’s bad enough that standardized tests show that more than half of students today aren’t proficient in math, history, science, or reading. To the failure of public schools, add radical politics and it won’t be long before things go from very bad to horribly worse.
Pretty much every Democrat for president claims climate change is an existential threat to our planet. That hysteria has led to some insane proposals.
- Bernie wants to thin out the global population by opening abortion clinics all over the world.
- Most Democrats want draconian limits on fossil fuels. Many even want to outlaw production of oil and gas ignoring the fact that other than golf carts, electric cars are expensive to make and costly to charge. It will be interesting to see who gets the Teslas and who gets the golf carts.
- They want the earth covered in solar panels and windmills despite their inefficiency and high cost.
- Presumably airplanes and cruise ships will be a thing of the past (except of course for the private jets and luxurious yachts of the elites who deserve special privileges because they’re just trying to do what’s best for the rest of us.)
The question remains how Democrats will explain to voters the plan to pay for all their promises. Some say they’ll get it by cutting defense spending. But doing so would only gain about half a trillion per year – about what it would cost to provide illegals with free health care, education, and food stamps. Now there’s a good trade off!
Democrats are waging war against American taxpayers and American values. Sound like hyperbole? Consider that the cost for all their free stuff means taking money from those who earned it and giving it to those who didn’t. When individuals do it, it’s criminal and immoral. When the government does it, it’s taxes.