If you listen to the media and even conservative pundits recently, the Trump Presidency is at warp speed for failure and disaster. Any day now Trump will be brought down by Robert Mueller or Stormy Weather (I mean Daniels). His policies are a failure and he’s betrayed the American people. So says Jimmy Kimmel, Steven Colbert, Morning Joe, Jim Acosta, Chris “Thrill up my leg” Matthews, Ann Coulter and many more. Why, he should just crawl into a fetal position and suck his thumb.
Yet despite all this, President Trump has not only survived but actually seen an uptick in his approval rating (currently 51% in Rasmussen). So I ask, in the words of the legendary Nature Boy Ric Flair, “What’s causing all this?”
I think there are several reasons:
- The Tax Cuts. Americans have seen their paychecks increase and received bonuses while others have returned to work (which IS a raise!). And they realize what a crock the media template about very few getting tax cuts (or crumbs as Pelosi of Borg opined) was. Reality is destroying the left’s fantasy world.
- Immigration. The hyper-ventilating of some conservative pundits over the Omnibus and claiming a Trump betrayal on the wall not withstanding, I think most Trumpers blame that on the elite Republican leadership in Congress. This was one of the few times that the swamp got the better of Trump. He was in a no-win situation. Trump is the one attempting to finally solve the immigration issue in a manner favorable to Americans. Yet he is being opposed by the courts, Democrats and Republicans. Those who blew a gasket over the Omnibus bill don’t have the long term in mind. They can only see today. News flash: Trump’s struggle against the elite/swamp is not a battle that is going to be won in a month or a year. And it will probably continue even after he is gone in January 2025! Oh and btw Trump has totally out-maneuvered the Democrats on DACA.
- Gun Control. The left has overplayed the gun control issue to say the least. And they have done it with David Hogg et al as a shield to do their dirty work. People are seeing thru this – especially the personal and hateful attacks on Trump, the NRA and by extension their supporters. They also don’t care too much to see kids manipulated in this manner. Or others that don’t promote the left’s agenda totally ignored. If you want to hear about a REAL hero from Parkland, read this. And isn’t is interesting that a radical leftist Muslim woman shoots people and you hardly hear a peep out of the MSM.
- Tariffs. While the media (and Wall Street) are ringing their hands over the tariffs, voters in the Rust Belt are taking notice and like what they see – even in Blue State Minnesota!:“It’s really strange,” said Mayor Bob Vlaisavljevich of Eveleth, a longtime Democrat who in recent years has changed his registration to Republican and decorated his City Hall office with a Trump bumper sticker. “A billionaire from New York is the one saving us.”
Strange indeed. And a sad commentary on both parties over the last generation.
- The media. Overall I think the media is helping Trump the most. He has essentially been inoculated thanks to their coverage. They long ago jumped the shark in their constant juvenile and arrogant criticism of Trump. He is the proverbial square peg in a round hole and the media has yet, and probably never will, figure him out (or want to). All they see him as is an outsider who must be destroyed at all costs. But the only thing they are doing is destroying themselves. They live in a complete bubble and have no clue how untrustworthy and downright childish they look to anyone living between the coasts. Case in point: this is what Dan Rather had to say recently:“News anchors looking into the camera and reading a script handed down by a corporate overlord — a script meant to obscure the truth, not elucidate it — is not journalism. It is propaganda. It is Orwellian. It is on a slippery slope toward some of history’s most destructive forces.”
So Dan Rather has just defined himself as Orwellian and destructive. It is astounding how this man can make a statement like that after the faked document scandal in 2004.
- Trump, the FIGHTER: Ever since his campaign for the Presidency begin in 2015, Trump has been fighting for the forgotten man. And he is still fighting for them and it resonates. I am still amazed that the Democrats and the media still don’t understand this. Hillary Clinton sure didn’t (although Bill did and warned her campaign but was ignored). A lot of people have waited for someone like Trump to come along. And while some of his tweets could be dialed back some, I think his supporters in general love the fact that he doesn’t take crap from the media. The have a connection/bond with Trump that is special and something not seen in a long time, if ever. When Trump is attacked they see this as an attack on THEM. (This is why all these attacks on the NRA will backfire).
- Trump, the MAN: And last, but not least, I don’t think you can totally disregard the fact that folks like Donald Trump because he IS an alpha-male. People still like men who are decisive and strong. It reminds me of a guy I saw in the 1980’s (who I mentioned above). In his heyday, Ric Flair was one of the biggest heels in wrestling yet many still liked the guy. Men thought he was cool with his 3 piece suits and million dollar watches. He always bragged about winning (sound familiar?). And women flocked to him for a chance to be at his side. I witnessed this as a teenager when I went to the local wrestling events and saw women flock to him in the parking lot (in those days you could walk right up to them. There was no security). I think Trump exudes some of that personality in the public persona he plays. It draws people to him (and has for a long time). And it just drives the left totally crazy.
Maybe a campaign sub-theme for 2020 should be “To be the President, you’ve got to beat the President!” Maybe if Joe Biden runs they can have a cage match at Wrestlemania.