After six years of the Obama administration, the American people who came out to vote expressed their complete and utter disgust with the stagnant economy, countless scandals, the rising costs of energy, food, and health care, and demanded a change.
President Obama said he is looking for “common ground” with Republicans, but I don’t believe there is any common ground between Republicans and the president. Instead, it is up to Republicans to find common ground with Americans.
In order to ensure the election of a Republican president in 2016, it is imperative that everything they do over the next two years should noticeably improve the lives of all Americans. Of utmost importance, if the Republicans do not want to see a replay of 2012 in 2016, they must engage conservatives and conservative members in Congress over the next two years and not marginalize them. They are the strength and heart of the party.
As soon as possible, Republicans should introduce bills promoting economic growth which will provide tangible improvements in all of our lives. Here are six ways this can happen.
- Approve and pass the Keystone XL Pipeline.
- Heighten security on our borders to keep out illegal aliens. There should be no discussion of comprehensive amnesty until we are convinced our borders have been secured. The President does not have the constitutional authority to issue an executive order granting blanket amnesty. If he attempts such an action Congress should engage Americans and show them how devastating such a move would be to our safety, security, and economy.
- Ease tax burdens and regulations on individuals and businesses to allow all of us to keep more of our hard earned money.
- Deal with Obamacare. Since we know Congress does not have enough votes to repeal Obamacare, they should chip away at whatever they can to ease the burdens to individuals and corporations, such as eliminate the medical device tax, eliminate the Independent Payment Advisory Board (IPAB), and restore the 40 hour work week by repealing the employer mandate.
- Stop EPA regulations that are closing coal plants across the country and causing energy prices to skyrocket.
- Eliminate the Common Core State Standards mandate and return public education decisions to the states and local school boards.