The most recent news making headlines is the supposed revelation by one of the Benghazi whistle blower’s attorneys. CNSnews reported Aug.13 that Former U.S. Attorney Joe DiGenova, who now represents one of the Benghazi whistleblowers, told a Washington radio station Monday that the real scandal in Benghazi is the theft of 400 surface-to-air missiles, and the Obama administration fears those missiles will be used to shoot down an airplane or blow up one of our embassies.
He then added, “We had troops ready to deploy in Croatia to go (to Benghazi) that night of Sept. 11, 2012 to rescue Americans. We have learned that one of the reasons the administration is so deeply concerned — we have been told there were 400 surface-to-air missiles stolen, and that they are on or about in the hands of many people, and that the biggest fear in the U.S. intelligence community is that one of these missiles will be used to shoot down an airliner,” saying the information came to him as a result of his legal representation of Benghazi whistleblower Mark Thompson.
WorldNet Daily’s Aaron Kline goes deeper into the story, asking if this is the reason for no air support on the terrorists the night of the Benghazi attack. He also points out that WND was first to report that in a speech to a think tank seven months before the Benghazi attack, a top State Department official described an unprecedented multi-million-dollar U.S. effort to secure anti-aircraft weapons in Libya after the fall of Muammar Gadhafi’s regime.
Andrew J. Shapiro, assistant secretary of state for the Bureau of Political-Military Affairs said the efforts were taking place in Benghazi, where a leading U.S. expert was deployed and that the Western-backed rebels did not want to give up the weapons, particularly MANPADS, which were the focus of the weapons collection efforts.
In November 2012, Middle Eastern security sources further described both the U.S. mission and nearby CIA annex in Benghazi as the main intelligence and planning center for U.S. aid to the rebels that was being coordinated with Turkey, Saudi Arabia and Qatar.
I reported numerous times that the Obama Administration has been reportedly arming the Syrian terrorists rebels and that the compound in Benghazi was run by Ambassador Stevens, who was in Benghazi to try and secure weapons that went missing from the cache left from the over throw of the Gaddafi regime.
In an interview in October 2012, former CIA operative Claire Lopez told a reporter from the Jerusalem Post that the compound was used for a gun running operation.
It was also reported in September of 2011, only days before the Benghazi attack in which 4 Americans were murdered, that besides various calibers of ammo, the warehouses were stockpiled with 130-mm antitank rockets, mortar rounds and thousands of land mines. At the time of the report, weapons had already been looted, raising fears in Libya and other areas of new violent uprisings and attacks. Human Rights Watch emergencies director Peter Bouckaert claimed that based on the codes and shipping documents attached to the scattered empty boxes which remained in one of the buildings that the facility had housed stockpiles of Russian surface-to-air missile, the SA-24. He said at the time, “Until yesterday, when we called the NTC [the rebels’ National Transitional Council], this was completely insecure… We don’t know how much walked away from here.”
The recent CNN expose’ about the possible CIA involvement in Benghazi and the missing SAMs and MANPADS would explain why no help came as Tyrone Woods pleaded for help, and why he and Glenn Doherty fought off hundreds of terrorists. But it’s also interesting the timing (and cover ups) of all of the events leading up to the attacks, including the still-unanswered questions as to why Ambassador Stevens’ repeated requests for more security months before 9/11 were ignored, and why Obama never authorized a CBA. And regarding Obama, where was he the night of the attack? Did he really just “go to bed” as reported?
The resurrection of these bits of news about the weapons, specifically the SAMs and MANPADS, is helpful in proving again that the Obama administration lied about the nature of the attack by blaming it on a video. It also points out that with recent administration’s announcements of imminent attacks against some of our Embassies that perhaps these are false red flags meant to divert attention from the cover up in Benghazi to make it appear that the administration is now following the guidelines of the Accountability Review Board put out after the attacks. And more importantly, is this a diversion from the situation that has developed in Syria’s war, in which Al Qaida members and Sunni terrorist organizations are heavily involved–and armed, thanks to the weapons which have come out of Libya and other sources.
The administration needs to do something to keep the spotlight away from Benghazi as they have tried to do since it happened. Despite that, the questions remain and they need to be answered.
Four American families are still waiting for truth about what happened to their loved ones who died, without aid from our government. While Obama was successful in diverting the Benghazi truth during his last presidential campaign, we must realize that Hilary Clinton is prepping for a run in 2016. There are many questions surrounding her State Department’s activities and possible involvement in the gun running activities, and the possibility that she lied during her Benghazi hearing testimony as well.
Please contact your representatives and demand that they sign on Rep. Frank Wolf’s HR 36, to establish a Select Committee with subpoena power to investigate Benghazi. Please also call, e mail, and tweet John Boehner’s office demanding he begin proceedings immediately to get this passed.