Sorry to say this friends and family (especially my mom), but usually when I get a forwarded e-mail with a dozen people attached to it I delete it. I refuse to send a forward to “10 of my nearest and dearest” just to prove that I love Jesus.
But then other times I’ll get something that makes me say ‘hmmm, interesting!’ This is one of those. I’m not sure where it originated, but it’s got a great twist on what a ‘billion’ really is. (I added a few of my own twists, just for effect.)
“The next time you hear a politician use the word ‘billion’ in a casual manner, think about whether you want the politicians spending your tax money.
A billion is a difficult number to comprehend, but one advertising agency did a good job of putting that figure into perspective.
- A billion seconds ago it was 1959.
- A billion minutes ago Jesus was alive.
- A billion dollars ago was only 8 hours and 20 minutes, at the rate our government is spending it.
After Hurricane Katrina, Louisiana Senator Mary Landrieu (D) asked Congress for $250 billion to help rebuild New Orleans. If you break down all those billions,
- All 484,674 residents of New Orleans (every man, woman and child) would get $516,528.
- If you have one of the 188,251 homes in New Orleans, your house would get $1,329,787.
- If you were a family of four, your family would get $2,006,012.
And where did our government get all those billions and trillions of dollars? Yep, they got their money from you and me via taxes.
- Building Permit Tax
- CDL License Tax
- Cigarette Tax
- Corporate Income Tax
- Dog License Tax
- Federal Income Tax
- (Fed) Federal Unemployment Tax
- (FU TA) Fishing License Tax
- Food License Tax
- Fuel Permit Tax
- Gasoline Tax
- Hunting License Tax
- Inheritance Tax
- Inventory Tax
- IRS Interest Charges (tax on top of tax)
- IRS Penalties (tax on top of tax)
- Liquor Tax
- Luxury Tax
- Marriage License Tax
- Medicare Tax
- Property Tax
- Real Estate Tax
- Service charge Taxes
- Social Security Tax
- Road Usage Tax (Truckers)
- Sales Taxes
- Recreational Vehicle Tax
- School Tax
- State Income Tax
- State Unemployment Tax (SUTA)
- Telephone Federal Excise Tax
- Telephone Federal Universal Service Fee Tax
- Telephone Federal, State and Local Surcharge Tax
- Telephone Minimum Usage Surcharge Tax
- Telephone Recurring and Non-recurring Charges Tax
- Telephone State and Local Tax
- Telephone Usage Charge Tax
- Utility Tax
- Vehicle License Registration Tax
- Vehicle Sales Tax
- Watercraft Registration Tax
- Well Permit Tax
- Workers Compensation Tax
(And to think, we left British Rule to avoid so many taxes!)
Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago and our nation was the most prosperous in the world. We had absolutely no national debt; we had the largest middle class in the world and Mom stayed home to raise the kids. What happened?”