We are at war. The President’s chief spokesman announced it from the White House on September 12, 2014. Once again, the Unites States has technically not been at war for a long time, and that’s part of the problem, but everyone throws around the term loosely, and it seems just to roll off of everyone’s tongues. America seems to have NO strategy to go to war and win.
Can America avoid putting troops on the ground? My opinion is no. We will start with small group of troops, and the situation will grow into a nightmare unless we go into to win. Winning requires casualties, include both soldiers and civilians, on all sides..
With all the talk about another war, no one seems to mention which citizens are going to fight this war. My educational background, work experience, military experience, nor my personal life’s journey gives me the ability to be an expert on conflicts or war, much like most of the talking heads, journalist and everyone else who thinks they are an expert. But being an American, as well as the fact that I have two children of fighting age, does give me and every other legal American the right to give opinions.
Only 1 percent of American women and men are willing to sign on the “dotted line” to protect the other 99 percent of legal Americans, illegal gang members, and millions of illegal immigrants. When more troops are needed, an emotional call will go out for volunteers that will consist of a few million that will continue to go to war over and over, and when the brave men and women return, Americans can’t take care of their needs. The Veteran’s Administration has, for generations, been a mess and continues to be a disaster.
There is also a matter of cost for a long-term war, which will impact generations of Americans. America, the last time I looked, was $17 trillion+ in debt with no end in sight. According to a September 5, 2014 broadcast of NBC News, the attacks on Syria and Iraq could cost in the millions to billions. Americans can’t afford a war that could last generations.
On September 27, Greg Sheridan, foreign editor of The Australian, gave an interesting opinion:
“One is the writings of Syed Qutb, the most influential thinker in the early days of the Muslim Brotherhood. He argued that Islamic nations have become slack and lacking in piety. But he also developed a deep hatred of Western society, especially its licentiousness and the temptation which it offered to Muslims. And then there is Osama bin Laden and al-Qa’ida, which builds on both these traditions and sees existing Islamic governments as not authentically Islamic, but also sees the West as essentially, and intrinsically, an enemy of Islam.”
“The objectives set for the U.S.-led war in Iraq and now Syria could take years to complete.” Army Lt. Gen. William C. Mayville Jr.
According to a new NBC poll (9/28/14), 72 percent of Americans now think that troops will be on the ground. That indicates Americans awareness but not commitment of what it will take to win.
“Although the intelligence community has not yet detected specific plotting against the U.S. homeland, ISIL has global aspirations…If left unchecked, ISIL will directly threaten our homeland and our allies.” Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel, Sept. 16, 2014.
Is it time to fight the new war with payments from oil-rich countries that we defend?
It’s time for everyone who has an opinion about “Boots on the Ground” to ask: Whose boots? How about drafting your children or grandchildren?
In my opinion, no one understands the depth of the problem or how to even to begin to fight a fight that will last for generations. The new war that Americans and other countries now face is going to be a war very different than past conflicts and wars.
It’s time to get to the real question: When does the “new draft” start to fight a war that may never end?
Freedom is not free and should not be a burden on a few volunteers so again: Whose boots are on the ground?
Trending Now on Politichicks
Sorry. No data so far.