What exactly do the Atheists want from us Christians and other believers? I guess they want us to do away with our faith and all of our traditions because it annoys them. They don’t believe so no one else should be able to either. That is typical of the mind set of these folks. “I don’t like it, so we have to do away with it”. Really?
My take on all of this is that Atheists have a faith just as strong as the rest of us believers do. This will drive them absolutely crazy, but think about it for a minute.
First of all not all religions need to worship or identify a god. Take for example Buddhism which is non-theistic. Atheists don’t worship a god per se, but they are a religion anyway. This is from a great piece by Kevin Childs at The Rock.
1. They have their own preachers and evangelists like Dawkins and the late Christopher Hitchens who preach their gospel and try to convert new members.
2. They have their own prophets like Lenin, Marx and Nietzsche.
3. Materialism is their worldview. They see everything through that perspective and refuse to have an open mind.
4. Their Orthodoxy or set of beliefs is in direct contrast with the Christian religion in that it believes everything can be explained through the idea of evolution and that no truth is acceptable if it is not scientific.
5. If anyone dares to “leave” their faith of Atheism they are condemned and ostracized by most members.
6. They of course have their Messiah. The savior to them is Charles Darwin who crucified theism by saying that life as we know it doesn’t need God as an explanation for its being. Evolution is the answer and the teaching of the Atheist.
7. They cannot say that they don’t have faith or that they don’t believe in God. If they don’t have faith how can they deny the existence of God? The existence of God cannot be proven or disproven but to deny it takes “faith”.
Unanswered questions like why do we have a sense of right or wrong or why do we have self-awareness are just accepted by Atheists because of their “faith”.
So they can scream and yell all they want. They can protest our Christmas trees, nativity scenes, Hanukah Menorahs and crosses in cemeteries. They can take us to court over “God” in the Pledge of Allegiance, “In God We Trust” on our money and the Ten Commandments posted in public buildings. It won’t do them any good because you see; we don’t “need” those things to cement our belief in God. Our belief is not something that you can touch or see… it is something that is deep within our hearts and souls and that is something that cannot be taken from us by any court in the land. Ask anyone who has been a victim of religious persecution and they will tell you that everything could be taken from them except their faith. No one can take that.
The religion of the Atheists will continue to try and convert as many people as they can and I am sure in our current culture they will convince quite a few; but they need to understand that what they are preaching “against” is what they are really practicing, and that is “religion”.